Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stylish Award

So...thanks to some lovely ladies, I have been nominated for the Stylish Blogger award.


So sweet and unexpected :) So now I need to tell you a few things about me. Hmm. Let me try and think of some that I have never shared.

I am the middle child of eight children. I have two brothers and five sisters. One of my sisters started out as a foster child and was later unofficially adopted and had her name changed. The remaining siblings are from the same Mom and Dad. Who were together for 44 years until April of last year. I have 17 nieces and nephews ranging in age from 24 to 2 months (twins!).

I was born and raised on Long Island and moved to Illinois when I was 16. After 16 years I moved again to Florida to be near my ailing grandparents. So I figured I've been here for 8 years, means I have 8 more before I have to go somewhere else. I pick Charleston...but we'll see. Hopefully the housing market will have turned so my frugal husband will consider selling our house by then.

I was an athlete growing up and an honor student. I played soccer from when I was in first grade and was on a traveling team that I loved. I played field hockey in high school and was the Captian my Sophomore year. I was a cheerleader in Junior High (when I was Captian) and the beginning of high school. When we moved to Illinois I was so mad at my parents that I refused to join any organized activities. So instead, I got lazy and gained 20 lbs. Yeah...really made my parents suffer, huh?

When I was a Junior in high school (my first year in Illinois) I had stayed home sick for two days. My girlfriend called me up and asked me to go out. I convinced my Mom that it was a good idea. We went to a friend's and had many, many screw drivers and played some pool. That is the last of the evening that I personally remember, the rest has been told to me. We left my friend's house and went out. First I convinced them to go to Taco Bell where I threatened the guy behind the counter to find me my boyfriend as I needed to talk to him. Then we ended up at a White Hen (the midwest version of a 7/11) where I met up with a newbie police officer. It was his first week out of the academy. I went up and knocked on his window to say hello. He realized I was intoxicated and under age. So he was going to take me in. On the drive to the police station I threw his tie out the window and was wearing his hat till I passed out. Fearing I might choke if I got sick he took me to the fire station for an ambulance ride to the hospital. I was admitted. I was fighthing them and had to be strapped down till my Mom arrived and made them let me go. I proceeded to punch the nurse in the face before passing out. I open my eyes in the morning and see nothing but white. Thought I was dead. Then I saw my Mom and knew I was dead!! But my Mom was so glad that I was alive, she took me shopping...apparently two kids ODed while I was there.

I was engaged to be married prior to my husband to an abusive man. I fled in the night.

I bought my first house on my own when I was 28.

I did Chow rescue for 2 years and then later did cat/kitten rescue for 1 year. I had to struggle to give them back every.single.time.

I have volunteered my whole life. From teaching Down Syndrome children to swim at the Y to counseling assistant for a women's battered shelter.

I hope I haven't bored you with this little glimpse into me...thanks for listening.

1 comment:

  1. That was REALLY cool learning more about you! I can't believe you have 17 nephews and nieces! That is crazy. And talk about crazy that is a CRAZY store from your teen years, I never would have expected that from you ;) I loved reading all this, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete